Key Points From The Interview
- Bing’s goal is to make social signals more valuable by presenting them in a way that actually augments the search experience.
- Previously, most social information was trapped in people’s heads. Now, they are publicly expressing this information in a way that machines are able to read it and make use of it.
- Likes are a good signal, but they’re not a granular signal of what particular thing you’re actually expressing a like about.
- Social integration in search is more than simply looking at a like and then showing the liked item. It is about taking that social data and creating a profile that can then be used to add more value to the search experience.
- While Google is trying to build their own social network, Bing prefers to partner with and integrate with social media companies that are already doing amazing work in their respective niche.