Mark Traphagen is our Content Strategy Director, responsible for the reputation and promotion of our brand. He spearheads our content and social media strategy and production.
Mark has built a strong reputation as a social media and content marketing expert. With over 160,000 social media followers, he has become a sought after speaker at national conferences such as MozCon, PubCon, and SMX, and a featured writer for major online publications. Of course, he also regularly publishes on our own blog.
Mark also writes and produces our award winning Here’s Why video series, where each episode combines a zany skit with in-depth, actionable digital marketing insights.
Mark resides in Durham, North Carolina, where he can be found mandolin in hand at any bluegrass jam.
Connect with Mark Traphagen
Recognitions of Mark Traphagen
- In an interview on Reddit, Rand Fishkin of Moz named Mark as one of his top 5 people to follow on social media.
- 50 Content Marketing Influencers You Need to Follow (2019) – Atomic Reach
- Top 25 Most Influential Content Marketers (2018) – Onalytica
- Top 25 Influencers on Social Media Topics (2018) – Onalytica
- Top 100 Content Marketers (2018) – Express Writers
- Top Digital Marketing Influencer of 2018 – FitSmallBusiness
- Top 25 Digital Marketing Influencers (2018) – Flaunt Digital
- Mark penned two of the top 10 column posts for Marketing Land in 2018, including the #1 most-read post.
- Top 100 Most Influential Digital Marketers (2016) – Onalytica.
- Attendees at Social Tools Summit in Boston voted Mark “Social Guru of 2017”
Mark Traphagen’s Author Profiles
- Search Engine Journal (VIP Columnist)
- Marketing Land (Columnist)
- Moz Blog (Contributor)
- Search Engine Land (Contributor)
Upcoming Speaking Events
- State of Search – October 10-11, 2018 on “It’s Time for Social Media Marketing to Grow Up!” and a “Here’s Why Live” keynote (use code MarkSOS18 by September 25 for a $125 discount!)
- Pubcon Pro – October 16-18, 2018 on “Storytelling and Social Media Messaging”
- SMX East – October 24-25., 2018 – A panelist on Social Media clinic and moderating the Content Clinic and Agency Meetup
- Zenith – April 2019
Past Speaking Events
- SEMRush Webinar – August 1, 2018 at 12:00 EDT on “Social Media Metrics: Measure What Matter”
- Raleigh SEO Meetup – June 19, 2018 on “The Rise of Trust-Centric Marketing: Building Trust at the Heart of SEO”
- SMX Advanced – June 11-13, 2018 on “Rising Above the Pack: Content Marketing that Crushes It in 2018” (Invitation Only)
- Social Media Day – May 16, 2018 KEYNOTE on “Grow Up or Get Out: A Social Media Manifesto for 2018”
- Next10x: Mastering the Changing Digital Marketing Landscape (Conference emcee)
- Pubcon – November 6-9, 2017 on “B2B Guide to Engaging Content and Ad Copy”
- SMX East– October 24-26, 2017 on “How Machine Learning is Changing the Content Game Right Now” (Sponsored Session)
- Social Tools & Best Practices Summit – October 18, 2017 on the “Social Tools, Tips, and Tricks to Build Your Brand and Thought Leadership” panel.
- The board of the Internet Marketing Experimental Collective (IMEC) Google Hangout – October 16, 2017 at 5:00 PM on “Explaining Strange Google Result”
- State of Search – October 9-10, 2017 on “Content Quality, Going Beyond “I know it When I See It.” and “Here’s Why Live“
- Engage Conference – March 9, 2017 on “Do Links Still Matter? The Present and Future of Links for SEO”
- SMX West – March 21-23, 2017 on “SEO & Social: A Match Made In Marketing Heaven”
Mark Traphagen’s Most Influential Content
- The Rise and Fall of Google Authorship for Search Results (15,400 shares) – co-authored with Eric Enge
- Will Google Bring Back Google Authorship? (3,200 shares)
- Becoming Better SEO Scientists (Moz Whiteboard Friday video – 3,100 shares)
- Why Your Social Media Audience Is Critical for Content Marketing (2,700 shares)
- Does Social Media Affect SEO? (3,200 shares)
- Tweet and Repeat: The Power of Sharing Again and Again (2,300 shares)
- Personal Brand Punch: Why Your Brand Should Be Represented By Real People (2,000 shares)
- 9 Proven Tips to Get More Social Media Followers (1,500 shares)
Top image credit: Doug Haslam, Stone Temple